Pumpkin Cupcakes with Toasted Meringue
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Toasted Meringue are a delicious and festive dessert perfect for any occasion. These cupcakes are made gluten-free using cassava flour, which adds a nutty and earthy flavor to the cupcakes. The toasted meringue topping is light and fluffy, providing a nice contrast to the rich and flavorful pumpkin cupcakes. Follow this recipe for a fall-inspired treat that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
These pumpkin cupcakes with toasted meringue topping are sure to impress your guests with their beautiful presentation and delicious flavor. The use of cassava flour makes them a great gluten-free option, and the addition of warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg gives them that perfect flavor.
1 cup cassava flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup milk
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cupcake:
For the toasted meringue topping:
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cassava flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add pumpkin puree and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Stir in milk until the batter is smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing cupcakes from the tin.
To make the meringue topping:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue onto the cupcakes.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the meringue until lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy!