Creamy and Delicious Vegan Scalloped Potatoes with Cassava Flour
Indulge in the creamy goodness of these vegan scalloped potatoes. The cassava flour-based sauce creates a velvety texture that perfectly coats each tender slice of potato. This dairy-free and plant-based twist on a classic dish will satisfy your comfort food cravings while aligning with your vegan lifestyle. Give this recipe a try and share it with your loved ones for a truly delightful dining experience!
2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk)
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
¼ cup of Tonomi cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cassava flour and plant-based milk until well combined. This will help prevent any lumps in the sauce.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the saucepan with the onions and garlic. Stir well to combine, then add the nutritional yeast, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens and becomes creamy.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes in the greased baking dish, then pour half of the creamy sauce over the potatoes. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender and golden brown on top.
- Once cooked, remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley for a pop of color and added freshness.
Serve the vegan scalloped potatoes as a delightful side dish to complement your favorite vegan mains or enjoy them as a comforting standalone meal.